Tuesday 2 September 2008

Egypt Strut Part 1

Im in Egypt at the moment and have been for what - the last 2 weeks now. My time here has been eventful - from going to all over cairo to alexandria, back to cairo and now im just jamming right now in an internet cafe listening to red house by hendrix with thoughts of shisha and meeting new people bubbling over in my mind. Last night was awesome - we didn't go too far or near the corniche (the nile bank - been there on my first night in cairo =D) we just jammed at this shisha place with a couple of Hamza's turkish friends and Hakim. It got more interesting though when another turkish man came along and sat down with us. What was most surprising was his good grasp of urdu! It was refreshing to talk in urdu after so long; it made me realise my desire to visit pakistan again. You see, my time here has made me some echoes of my time in pakistan. Its strange, because back in England i never really want to speak urdu at all, but being surrounded by egyptians who speak a variant of arabic made me really want to speak urdu out. Its being lost in translation and feeling like the only exotic form of communication you can muster is something no-one would understand.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Man, i feel really close to urdu sometimes too. Especially when my japanese gets really good, all of a sudden i get upset and feel like i'm being unfaithful to my heritage. Urdu is such a beautiful, expressive language when it comes down to it.